Friday, March 16, 2012

Sweetness

Watching television this morning I happened across one sad story after another about sick and dying children, as I held my own baby in my lap.  He was especially affectionate this morning and I hugged him close, thanking God that I had him to hold, that he was healthy and such a blessing in my life.

When I was pregnant with him I imagined how much my life would change once he was born, how things might be with him.  I had no idea it would be this good, this Right Feeling, or that it would be as hard as it sometimes is.  But the hard times are worth it, as they lead to the good times, the truly great times.

I whisper in my son's ear that I love him, and that he's my favorite part of the day.  I hope that he knows what these things mean, someday, and that he remembers me loving him this way.  I know that he will grow up and be a rough and tumble boy in the not too distant future, and these times will be rare, so I try to soak them up as they come, and treasure every moment.  Naturally this does not always work as life tends to get in the way and make you so busy you don't have time to savor the moments.

It is a tenuous balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment