Friday, March 30, 2012

A Long Night

Thursday.  It has been a loud day.  Every time I called my husband I could hear joyful screaming in the background, coming from the baby so loud I could barely talk to his dad.  I went straight home after work to give my husband a break.

By the time I got there they were both fresh from a nap, so that was great.  Everyone is in a better mood after napping.  I took over baby duties so my husband could catch his breath, and we talked a little about bills and our upcoming move, storage units, and car repairs that need to be done.  Life is sometimes so exciting!

Ruckus and I played on the floor for a while while my husband went to visit his brother, and we had a good time.  The baby's toys are loud and obnoxious some days, and other days they are fun to play with.  I discovered that one in particular speeds up the song if you hit it enough times in quick succession so I had the polka tunes going warp speed, just to mix things up.  The songs play on a loop in my head these days so any change is a good one.

I read him a couple of his books, the hard cardboard ones that say they are for 1 year and older.  I suppose that is because cardboard disintegrates when subjected to enough baby spit, and young babies are prone to mouthing everything.  The stories themselves don't have much to offer.  One is about a turtle who stops and stares at things and takes all day to walk to his own birthday party.  The other guests didn't seem too upset by his lateness when he finally arrived.  The second is about an elephant who's nose is stuffed up, and a flamingo who plucks a feather to make him sneeze.  The end.  Luckily my son's attention span is shorter than the books so he wasn't disappointed.

Dinner time rolled around so I heated him up some pureed chicken with gravy, and mixed up his rice cereal.  He ate like a trooper and after clearing his plate he drank a bottle of formula.  After dinner I changed him and wrapped him up but it was a fight-sleep night so the rocking went on for an hour.  I have stopped singing lullabies and he still isn't crying much before sleep so maybe it was me making him cry with my voice all along!

I laid him in his crib and went to bed, and just as I got comfortable he woke up crying.  I got up and rocked him back to sleep, and then went back to bed for half an hour before the crying started again.  I don't know if he wasn't feeling well, or just was feeling lonesome, but we were up four times before midnight and I was feeling beat.  At that point my husband got up and I crashed until 4:30 when I woke up and found them both on the couch.  I sent my husband to bed and curled up with the baby for a couple of hours, watching the news as I dozed.

By the time 7 rolled around I was feeling pretty rested, and got ready to head to work.  Ruckus was in a good mood this morning, quiet and playful.  It is difficult to go to work on days like today, the sun is out and I want to stay home and play with my son.  But it is good to provide for my family, and the work day is only so long.  Soon it will be over and I can spend the weekend with my family, making memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment