Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A-Picnicking We Will Go


Yesterday was my company’s summer picnic so I went home a little early to change and pick up my boys.  I dressed Ruckus in a blue overall shorts outfit and some matching sandals and off we went to the park to visit with my coworkers and their families.  This is usually the type of event I like to avoid because socializing with coworkers and bosses is not always the best idea for career advancement but now that I have my son it is more fun to do these sorts of things, as he soaks up the attention lavished on him and gives me something to do with my hands. 

We arrived a little earlier than most people and he was able to finish the nap he had started on the drive to the park.  Everyone cooed over him and marveled at how big he has grown since they saw him a month or so ago.  I’m so glad that other people think my baby is adorable as I do! 

After he woke up we played a little and I took him to sit in the grass for a bit so he could fully wake up before eating dinner.  We ate chicken and ribs and potato salad and baked beans.  Ruckus is still a very good eater and if I can get the pieces cut up small enough he has no trouble with the foods I offer him.  There are of course some things I do not give him, for instance, coleslaw, because they are just too hard to chew using only the front teeth and wouldn’t digest properly if swallowed whole.

Everyone we sat around was surprised at how well behaved Ruckus is and that he eats people food and is such a big boy and a handsome baby.  This served as a good reminder of how very lucky we are to have such a healthy baby who has no food issues, which is easy to take for granted.  He also seems to take after his daddy who is tall and with a heavy build so he is a big boy for his age.

After dinner we went over to a couple who have a 12 month old boy who is all smiles.  I asked if he (Logan) could play with Ruckus for a while and we went and sat the two boys in the grass so they could get acquainted.  Babies seem to not really play so much as stare at each other, smile, and try to steal each other’s toys.  Ruckus patted Logan’s clothes a little before taking the crushed water bottle he was playing with, and then Logan took it back and Ruckus cried for about five minutes.  He clearly is not used to anything being not his and we will need to work on sharing, haha!

We left soon after as Ruckus was showing signs of being zombie tired and this is never a good state to be in while in a crowd.  We had a nice time and it was good for us all to see other babies and small children running around, and to be outside of our element for a little while.  It also was interesting to see Ruckus next to children of approximately the same age to gain some perspective of how much larger he is than his peers.  It is one thing to see the label on his clothes which now is usually size 18 Months but to physically see him next to a two year old of about the same size was a bit of an eye opener.

No comments:

Post a Comment